There are several reasons why your air conditioner can smell musty, this can happen, due to clogged drains and filters. It forms due to the buildup of bacteria, mold, or other nasty things on your evaporator coil. This is because the evaporator coil is placed in a moist and dark place, and mold accumulation becomes very easy.
How To Fix Musty Smells In An Air Conditioner?
The most important thing is to clean the interiors of the air conditioner and get rid of that dirt accumulation. You may search for air conditioning service in Yuma, AZ, or clean it yourself. Here are the steps you need to follow in cleaning it at home:
- To open the air conditioner, firstly remove the outer case, which is the covering of the air conditioner with care. There would be easy push buttons on either side of the chance to help you do so. Once open, it reveals the interiors of the air conditioner, such as fans, coil, and compressor.
- Next, place the exterior covering of the air conditioner in a secure location till you are cleaning the air conditioner. Ensure that it is accidentally not broken by you. We advise you to wash that as well.
- Now we need to blow away all the dry dust particles. For this, we suggest you use a blower. However, if you don’t have it at home, even a hair dryer works. It is advised to wear a mask or cover your face if you haven’t cleaned your air conditioner in a while. Get to a safe distance and blow air at pressure. The space shall help you prevent damage to other components.
- Use a cleaning brush to eliminate the other dust particles stuck to your air conditioner. You can also use a toothbrush or a micro-fiber cloth at home that you can easily find.
- Since the mold is a wet substance, use any surface cleaning solution to remove it. You can directly spray it and clean it with a damp cloth or a low-pressure jet spray.
- Wash the drip tray as well with the jet spray. You may also run a light hand over it with a wet cloth to avoid additional pressure.
- Now, it’s time to reassemble the air conditioner. But, hold on. Don’t rush so soon. Do you wish to get a short circuit in your house by making wet appliances work? First, let it be for a couple of hours till it is completely dry, and then assemble.
Your air conditioner is now ready to work.
At times, cleaning air conditioners can be tricky, and one might damage them, so it’s better to schedule an air conditioner repair in Yuma, AZ. We at Rapid Air LLC are always here to cater to your needs. Whether cleaning, repairing, or maintenance, feel free to reach out to us.